메뉴 건너뛰기

주일예배 Sunday Service

Title: Searching for Conflict / What is the reason to live while wandering through life?

In life, do you ever find yourself asking, "Have you ever found yourself asking the question, 'Why am I living in such a wavering and hesitant manner?"

Living life diligently is commendable. However, when faced with uncontrollable circumstances, the busyness of living without a clear reason or purpose may be unavoidable and unlikely to change.

Today, let's reflect on the lyrics of the sacred hymn "The Song of Jochabed." When Jochebed, the mother of Moses, could no longer hide him as a child, she painted the inside of a small reed basket with pitch and tar to prevent water from seeping in, then set it afloat on the Nile River. "What was in the heart of the mother?" Her eyes were filled with tears.

However, as we know, Moses did not perish in the Nile. How could this happen?

There are two reasons:

1) Moses was thrown into the river, but he did not die due to the prayer of his mother.

(Lyrics) The true master of your life, your true parent is God. Entrust your life to His hands. The true master of your life, the Lord God who leads you, entrusts your life to His hands.

After doing her best, Moses' mother entrusted his life to God, the true master and true parent. She handed Moses' life to the Lord God who leads him.

What does the name Moses mean? It means "he came out of the water." Just as Jesus rescued Peter who was sinking in the water, God, the true master and true parent, rescued Moses from the water.

2) Moses did not die due to his (mission).

Moses was a person chosen by God. After being raised in the Egyptian palace for 40 years and trained in the Midian wilderness for another 40, at the age of 80, God sent him back to Egypt as His messenger.

God had a plan for Moses. He wrote Moses' story and gave him the mission of delivering the enslaved people of Egypt.

Until he fulfills his "mission," God takes responsibility for Moses' "life."

(Exodus 3:7-8) The Lord said, "I have surely seen the affliction of my people who are in Egypt and have heard their cry because of their taskmasters. I know their sufferings, and I have come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up out of that land to a good and broad land, a land flowing with milk and honey..."

(Exodus 3:9-10) Now, behold, the cry of the people of Israel has come to me, and I have also seen the oppression with which the Egyptians oppress them. Come, I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring my people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt.

3) Jesus does not (struggle to live) in an unjust court. Why?

In today's Mark 15:1-15, we see Jesus, who will soon face death, not struggling to live. Despite facing an unfair trial at the house of the high priest, the Sanhedrin, and in the courtroom of Pilate, Jesus does not actively defend his innocence.

Instead, he remains silent in this judicial injustice!

As I contemplate these words, I see the image of Moses thrown into the Nile. I became curious about the power behind Jesus' silence and why the people surrounding him are intriguing.

Who is the high priest, what kind of people make up the crowd, who is Pilate, and who is Jesus?

Conflict Analysis / The diversity at the foot of the cross is intriguing.

1) High Priest -> The one intending to (kill) Jesus

The high priest had been plotting to kill Jesus for a long time, laying out plans for it. Although he had initially decided to kill Jesus after purifying the temple, he postponed the act due to the approaching Passover, fearing potential unrest. Instead, on Friday evening, he seized Jesus through Judas' betrayal, interrogated him, and brought him to the court of Pilate.

(Mark 14:1) After two days, it was the Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread. And the chief priests and the scribes were seeking how to arrest him by stealth and kill him,

2) The Crowd -> People who cheered for Jesus but turned to (kill) him

The crowd consisted of individuals who had followed Jesus and even some who had celebrated his entry into Jerusalem. However, now, they were shouting for Jesus to be crucified instead of Barabbas. Some among them were aligned with the high priest and his associates.

(Mark 15:13-14) And they cried out again, "Crucify him." And Pilate said to them, "Why? What evil has he done?" But they shouted all the more, "Crucify him."

3) Pilate -> The one (killing) Jesus despite knowing he is innocent

Governor Pilate, appointed and sent, even after receiving a message from his wife, knew that Jesus was innocent. Nevertheless, he allowed his hands to be stained with blood. While Simon of Cyrene's family and his wife were praised in the Scriptures, Pilate is remembered as one of the most disgraceful figures in the New Testament.

(Luke 23:14-15) You brought me this man as one who was misleading the people. And after examining him before you, behold, I did not find this man guilty of any of your charges against him. Neither did Herod, for he sent him back to us. Look, nothing deserving death has been done by him.

4) Jesus -> The divine-human (silencing) in the face of death

Jesus did not waver to live. He remained silent consistently. This silence is highlighted in three parts: at the house of the high priest, in Pilate's court, and on the cross.

(Mark 15:5) But Jesus made no further answer, so that Pilate was amazed.

(Question) Is the courtroom intending to kill Jesus a place where silence is appropriate?

No!

가) The core of the judicial system is (fairness), but it is unfair.

Jesus was forcibly arrested in the evening, underwent interrogation at the house of the high priest and the Sanhedrin overnight, and was brought to Pilate's court at dawn, where they demanded his death.

Why did they bring Jesus to Pilate's court instead of stoning him to death like Stephen?

나) Only the Roman court can pronounce (capital punishment) on Jesus.

What was the reason they wanted to kill Jesus?

ㄱ) Rebellion and failure to pay taxes. They sought to kill Jesus for opposing the Roman Empire.

(Luke 23:1-2) The whole assembly rose and led him off to Pilate. And they began to accuse him, saying, "We have found this man subverting our nation. He opposes payment of taxes to Caesar and claims to be Messiah, a king."

ㄴ) To proclaim that Jesus, as one cursed by God, would die "on the cross."

(Galatians 3:13) Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole."

3. Clue / How did the trio form their alliance?

Why did the chief priests, the crowd, and Pilate seek to kill Jesus, and what was the reason behind their intent?

1) The chief priests were full of (envy).

The Bible mentions their envy in several places, and even Pilate was aware of it.

(Mark 15:9-10) Pilate answered them, saying, "Do you want me to release to you the King of the Jews?" For he knew that the chief priests had handed Him over because of envy.

Jesus, who healed the sick, raised the dead, and fed the hungry among the Israelites, was much more popular than the chief priests who collaborated with the Roman authorities for wealth. They envied Jesus for his popularity.

In Greek, there are two words for "envy": zēlos and phthonos.

a) The Greek word for envy here is not "zēlos" but (phthonos).

b) Phthonos -> Jealousy + (Anger)

The envy possessed by the chief priests was not zealous but rather phthonos, accompanied by not just jealousy but also anger.

For example, Joseph's brothers, driven by envy, planned to kill him, illustrating what is often referred to as the 'Cain complex,' where Cain killed Abel out of jealousy.

In the Book of James, it describes not just envy but 'bitter envy,' referring to jealousy with a toxic element, stating that such emotions do not come from heaven but rather from earthly, worldly desires, and even demonic influences.

It was this toxic jealousy, influenced by Satan entering the hearts of the chief priests, that ultimately led to the desire to kill Jesus.

(James 3:13-16) "Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. Such 'wisdom' does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic. For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice."

We encounter such individuals around us, and witnessing lives being marred by anger-fueled envy is not uncommon.

For example, feeling physically ill when a cousin purchases land.

2) The crowd was (ignorant).

They saw both sides of Jesus and even liked him. However, their ignorance led them to commit regrettable actions under the influence of the chief priests' manipulation.

(Mark 15:11) But the chief priests stirred up the crowd to have Pilate release Barabbas to them instead.

We encounter such people around us, and their end is destruction if they lack knowledge.

(Hosea 4:6) "My people are destroyed from lack of knowledge. 'Because you have rejected knowledge, I also reject you as my priests; because you have ignored the law of your God, I also will ignore your children."

3) Pilate was concerned about other people's (opinions).

Pilate acknowledged Jesus' innocence three times. However, despite recognizing Jesus' innocence, he handed him over to be crucified to satisfy the crowd. Therefore, he released Barabbas instead of Jesus.

(Mark 15:15) Wanting to satisfy the crowd, Pilate released Barabbas to them. He had Jesus flogged and handed him over to be crucified.

Pilate was more afraid of human eyes than the eyes of God. However, the confession of Spirit-filled disciples is inspiring. "We must obey God rather than human beings."

(Acts 5:27-29) The apostles were brought in and made to appear before the Sanhedrin to be questioned by the high priest. "We gave you strict orders not to teach in this name," he said. "Yet you have filled Jerusalem with your teaching and are determined to make us guilty of this man's blood." Peter and the other apostles replied: "We must obey God rather than human beings!"

(Example) Mission Barabbas -> A former Yakuza member turned believer and preacher. His life story was made into a movie titled 'Mission Barabbas.' In his sermons, there is always a mention of 'Barabbas.'

"Jesus, the Son of the Father, died on the cross for everyone!"

The significance behind this statement can be found in Pilate's use of the tradition of releasing one prisoner during the festival. Although the crowd wanted Barabbas, ultimately 'Jesus' was chosen to die instead of 'Barabbas.'

(Word) Barabbas = Bar (Son) + Abba (Father) = Son of the Father

Barabbas is a compound word, meaning 'Son' + 'Father,' or the Son of the Father.

The Yakuza turned preacher says:

'We are all sinners who deserve to die, but the crowd chose Jesus to be crucified in our place. Therefore, we should be grateful for the grace of Jesus.'

What was Pilate's problem?

His issue was that, despite having the opportunity to release Jesus, he chose to satisfy the people and ended up becoming the person who killed Jesus.

In the Old Testament, there is an account of a woman who played a crucial role in the destiny of a nation. That woman is Esther.

We highly esteem Esther's confession.

(Esther 4:15) Then Esther told them to reply to Mordecai,

(Esther 4:16) "Go, gather all the Jews to be found in Susa, and hold a fast on my behalf, and do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my young women will also fast as you do. Then I will go to the king, though it is against the law, and if I perish, I perish."

However, Mordecai's words, Esther's uncle, are more poignant.

"Do not think that being in the palace will save your life among all the Jews!"

"If you keep silent at this time, relief and deliverance will rise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father's house will perish. And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?"

(Esther 4:13) Mordecai told them to reply to Esther, "Do not think to yourself that in the king's palace you will escape any more than all the other Jews.

(Esther 4:14) For if you keep silent at this time, relief and deliverance will rise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father's house will perish. And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?"

Connect Mordecai's words to our professions and roles, and contemplate them deeply.

After all, the church and the kingdom of God progress "from another place." Let us not miss the opportunity to participate in this history.

4. Presentation of the Gospel / Jesus did not hesitate to (sacrifice) Himself. Did Jesus consistently remain silent in the unjust legal proceedings?

1) Jesus had a (mission). After Peter's confession of faith, Jesus first announced the coming suffering and consistently walked the path to the cross.

(Matthew 16:21) From that time, Jesus began to show his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes and be killed, and on the third day be raised.

2) Mission is more precious than (life). Though the death on the cross was excruciating, in prayer, Jesus confirmed that this mission was His path and surrendered Himself to God, much like the lyrics of "The Prayer of Jabez."

"Truly, my life's true master, the true parent of my life is God. I entrust my life into His hands. You, my life's true master, the Lord God leading me, I offer my life into His hands!"

(Mark 14:36) And he said, "Abba, Father, all things are possible for you. Remove this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will."

3) With a mission, (life) is preserved. Jesus died on the cross but rose again after three days, ascended to heaven, and now intercedes for us on the right hand of God.

(Question) Consider Paul. He also esteemed his mission more than his life.

(Acts 20:24) But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.

God not only preserved the life of mission-bearer Paul but also protected the lives of those who would die in the Euroclydon storm because of Paul, the mission-bearer.

(Acts 27:22-25) Yet now I urge you to take heart, for there will be no loss of life among you but only of the ship. For this very night there stood before me an angel of the God to whom I belong and whom I worship, and he said, 'Do not be afraid, Paul; you must stand before Caesar. And behold, God has granted you all those who sail with you.' So take heart, men, for I have faith in God that it will be exactly as I have been told.

5. Conclusion / Jesus remained silent in the face of death. Silence signifies an acceptance of death. I ask myself if I have such acceptance. Why didn't Jesus value His life? Because there was something more precious than life, and that was His mission! Mission preserves life. It prevents one from dying even when one intends to die. May all of us seeking life without losing their mission, and those striving to keep their mission without losing their lives, be blessed.

("The Prayer of Jabez")

Let's meditate on the lyrics of the choral version of "The Prayer of Jabez."

Jabez confesses that his true master and true parent of life is God, who will surely preserve his life.

Lyrics A:

Truly, my life's true master, the true parent of my life is God. I entrust my life into His hands. You, my life's true master, the Lord God leading me, I offer my life into His hands.

And he makes this confident confession.

Lyrics B:

He will save you, He will lead you, He will use you, He will guide you.

Amen!

Dear brothers and sisters of all nations, we must live life earnestly. But why are we living so diligently?

If you find yourself living aimlessly without purpose and reason in life, reset once again.

Let's not live for the sake of life but for the sake of our mission.

If we live for the sake of life, we die. If we live for the sake of our mission, we gain life.

Let's consider Paul's confession.

(Acts 20:24) But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God.

(Hymn lyrics) Can you bear the cross?

(Praise lyrics) The love in my heart toward You.

번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수
공지 열방교회 온라인 헌금 안내 정안젤라 2020.03.07 592
290 4월 28일 주일설교 (왕상 11:1-13) - '하나님 마음에 합한 사람, 하나님 마음이 떠난 사람' file 전우철 2024.04.27 12
289 4월 21일 주일설교(열왕기상 8:30-41, 9:1-9) - 성전으로 사는 인생, 예수로 사는 인생 file 전우철 2024.04.20 20
288 4월 14일 주일설교(왕상 6:1-13) - '예수의 흔적, 교회' file 전우철 2024.04.14 8
287 4월 7일 정민영목사 주일설교(삼상 2:1-10) - 한나를 롤모델로 삼자 전우철 2024.04.09 10
286 4월 7일 주일설교(열왕기상 2:26-35) - 저항할 수 없는 은혜, 타협없는 공의, 그리고 반드시 이루어지는 말씀 file 전우철 2024.04.04 40
285 3월 31일(누가복음 24:1-12) -‘부활: 다시 일어서게 하는 은혜’ ‘The God of the second chance’ file 전우철 2024.03.30 14
284 3월 31일 주일설교(누가복음 24:1-12) 1부예배 설교묵상 - '무덤덤한 무덤, (맘을 움직이는) 말다운 말! file 전우철 2024.03.29 12
283 3월 24일 주일설교(시편 61:1-8)- '나보다 높은 바위에 나를 인도하소서' file 전우철 2024.03.25 8
282 3월 17일 주일설교(시편 55:1-23) 말씀묵상 - TREACHERY, TRUST, TRESPASS file 전우철 2024.03.15 23
281 20240310 Let's not become miserable because of money! 정안젤라 2024.03.09 16
280 3월 10일 주일설교 말씀묵상(시편 49:13-20) - '돈 때문에 초라해지지 말자!' file 전우철 2024.03.09 48
279 20240303 God of Jacob, we have heard a lot of words! 정안젤라 2024.03.02 12
278 3월 3일 주일설교(시편 44편) 설교노트/설교원고/말씀묵상 - '야곱의 하나님, 말씀 많이 들었습니다!' 전우철 2024.03.02 45
277 20240225 We will keep our faith alive! 정안젤라 2024.02.24 8
276 2월 25일 주일설교(요엘 2:18-32) 설교노트/설교원고/말씀묵상 - '‘우리는 우리의 믿음을 살아있게 할 것입니다!’ 전우철 2024.02.23 37
» 20240218 Let's not live our lives in such a wavering and hesitant manner! 정안젤라 2024.02.17 14
274 2월 18일 주일 '말씀묵상/설교노트/설교원고' (막 15:1-15) - '인생 너무 아둥바둥거리고 살지 맙시다!' 전우철 2024.02.17 21
273 2월 11일 주일설교(마가복음 14:1-11) - '예배, 인생의 터닝포인트!' (설교노트/설교원고/말씀묵상/영어번역본) 전우철 2024.02.09 56
272 2월 4일 주일설교(막 12:1-12) 말씀묵상, 설교원고 - '본분(本分)’ file 전우철 2024.02.02 49
271 1/28 주일설교(막 10:17-31) '설교묵상' '설교노트' '설교원고' '영어설교' - ‘인생의 주어를 바꾸십다!’ [1] file 전우철 2024.01.26 66
위로