메뉴 건너뛰기

주일예배 Sunday Service

'God of Jacob, we have heard a lot of words!'

(Psalm 44:1-8)

1. Conflict Discovery / How can we know God?

1) We can know God by (listening) from someone else.

(Psalm 44:1) O God, we have heard with our ears, our ancestors have told us, the deeds you did in their days, in days of old.

If Psalm 44:1 were to be expressed in one sentence, it might be phrased like this:

"God, we have heard a lot of words!"

"We were familiar with God, having heard and known about Him!"

The psalmist was well-acquainted with God because they had heard about Him from their ancestors. It's not just a surface-level knowledge but a deep and intimate understanding.

When we receive positive feedback about ourselves from someone else, it feels good. And we tend to feel grateful towards the person who shared that feedback.

(Example) A few days ago, I asked Pastor Jee Hyungeun to preach for a revival meeting at OpenNation Church. At that time, I was deeply moved by the response received from the Pastor Jee.

"It's truly wonderful and precious to preach at such an amazing church. ^^"

2) What we hear from someone else (needs to be shared) to grow even more.

"When studying the book of Joel, we encountered many precious words, but the statement in Joel 2:32 stood out as the most powerful rhema:

'And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.'

(Joel 2:32) And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved; for in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be those who escape, as the Lord has said, and among the survivors shall be those whom the Lord calls.

Furthermore, this statement is quoted by Paul in Romans:

'How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?'

(Romans 10:13-15) For "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." But how are they to call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, 'How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!'

Our ability to believe in God stems from someone sharing God with us.

(Tagline) In Kona, Hawaii, there is a tagline:

'To know God and make Him known.'

Christians have a twofold duty: first, to know God themselves, and second, to make the known God known to others.

Returning to the book of Joel, in Joel 1:1, both Joel and his father, Bethuel, are introduced. Do you recall the significance?

(Joel 1:1) The word of the Lord that came to Joel the son of Pethuel:

*Bethuel = (MOUTH) OF GOD

*Joel = YAHWEH IS (GOD)

God has set us up as 'the mouth of God.'

Through our mouths, God testifies that He alone is the true God."

2. Conflict Analysis / Who came to know God and how?

Psalm 44 seems to be spoken in what situation, and what level of understanding does it have about God?

1) The knowledge about God is very (specific).

(Psalm 44:2-3) With your hand, God, drive out the nations and plant our ancestors; you crushed the peoples and made our ancestors flourish. It was not by their sword that they won the land, nor did their arm bring them victory; it was your right hand, your arm, and the light of your face, for you loved them.

The psalmist talks about God's hand, not just any hand but the powerful hand symbolizing authority. Additionally, they mention God's arm and the light of His face. It's not a distant God being discussed; rather, the psalmist narrates a story of a God they have experienced intimately.

We should be able to talk about God in a similarly specific manner, based on our own experiences.

(Explanation) The Book of Psalms is divided into five sections: Book 1 (Psalms 1-41) emphasizes the covenant God, Yahweh; Book 2 (Psalms 42-72) emphasizes the powerful God, Elohim. The structure continues with Book 3 (73-89), Book 4 (90-106), and Book 5 (107-150).

How has God manifested Himself so specifically?

2) God (delights) in that person and shows Himself concretely.

(Psalm 44:3) It was not by their sword that they won the land, nor did their arm bring them victory; it was your right hand, your arm, and the light of your face, for you loved them.

God takes pleasure in His people. He concretely reveals His love to those who recognize Him as the true Lord of their lives.

(Example) Confessing "God is the true Lord of my life" in my heart was truly moving.

God has promised: "Those who seek me will find me."

Who is the author of Psalm 44?

3) The author of Psalm 44 is a descendant of (Korah).

From Psalm 42 to Psalm 44, the author is a descendant of Korah.

Who is Korah, and why do the descendants of Korah record God in such a concrete way?

a) Korah opposed (spiritual authority) and faced consequences.

(Numbers 16:1-2) Korah son of Izhar, the son of Kohath, the son of Levi, and certain Reubenites—Dathan and Abiram, sons of Eliab, and On son of Peleth—became insolent and rose up against Moses. With them were 250 Israelite men, well-known community leaders who had been appointed members of the council.

Korah was an individual who opposed the spiritual authority of God. Although he was a Kohathite like Moses and Aaron, he was not the son of Amram but the son of Izhar. This led to resentment because he could not serve as a high priest.

Ultimately, in his rebellion, he built a faction against Moses and rebelled against God.

In the book of Jude, Korah is cited as someone who acted rebelliously, and there is a declaration of woe upon him for his rebellion.

(Jude 1:11) Woe to them! They have taken the way of Cain; they have rushed for profit into Balaam's error; they have been destroyed in Korah's rebellion.

b) Even in God's judgment, (salvation) was bestowed.

Despite God's anger, mercy was shown. When the earth opened and swallowed Korah and everything belonging to him, remarkably, his sons did not die. It was a demonstration of God's love.

(Numbers 26:9b-11) At that time, the earth opened its mouth and swallowed them up with their households and all Korah's men and all their possessions. They went down alive into the realm of the dead, with everything they owned; the earth closed over them, and they perished and were gone from the community. At the sound of their cries, all the Israelites around them fled, shouting, "The earth is going to swallow us too!"

c) The Korahite descendants who received salvation became (worshipers).

What became of the descendants of Korah, who experienced God's mercy?

They became people who worship God, dedicated to praising and worshiping Him.

In particular, among the leaders of those who served in worship, individuals like Heman, a chief musician, emerged from the descendants of Korah.

(1 Chronicles 6:31) These are the men David put in charge of the music in the house of the Lord after the ark came to rest there.

(1 Chronicles 6:33-38) The men, their sons and relatives, stood opposite the spirit, causing them to prophesy, the men did the work of the ministry of worship, with its reading, and with singing the praise and thanksgiving, all according to the regulations.

(Psalm 44:8) In God, we make our boast all day long, and we will praise your name forever. (Selah)

3. Summary / The descendants of Korah (trusted) in God.

The descendants of Korah expressed gratitude for the grace of God, who saved them from impending death.

1) They believed that when God commands salvation, it (will be accomplished).

They understood that, regardless of the difficult situation Israel might be in, if God commands salvation, all the people will be saved by God. They trusted in the power of God's command for salvation.

(Psalm 44:4) O God, you are my King and my Savior; command victories for Jacob.

2) They relied on the Lord (rather than) their own bows in battle.

They recognized that relying on the Lord instead of their own strength was the key to obtaining salvation.

(Psalm 44:5) Through you, we push back our enemies; through your name, we trample our foes.

(Psalm 44:6) I put no trust in my bow, my sword does not bring me victory.

3) They believed that only the Lord (provides salvation) and prevents them from being put to shame.

They acknowledged that relying solely on the Lord for salvation was the path to victory, ensuring that they would not be put to shame by their enemies.

(Psalm 44:7) But you give us victory over our enemies; you put our adversaries to shame.

4. Gospel Presentation/ Who is God?

Who is the God that the descendants of Korah are calling out to?

1) He is the God who provides salvation to (Jacob).

The God praised by the descendants of Korah is the 'God of Jacob.'

(Psalm 44:4) O God, you are my King and my Savior; command victories for Jacob.

The descendants of Korah confess concerning their salvation:

"O God, be the King to us, command salvation for Jacob!"

"Command the salvation of Jacob!"

2) Why is He referred to as the 'God of Jacob' and not the God of Abraham or Isaac?

Concerning this, there is contemplation about why He is specifically called the 'God of Jacob' and not the God of Abraham or Isaac.

a) Jacob was a (deceptive) person.

*Jacob = 'one who grabs the heel' or 'supplanter.'

Jacob was born grasping his twin brother Esau's heel, symbolizing his deceptive nature. He was a person filled with jealousy and cunning, not hesitating to deceive to achieve his desires.

However, calling upon God as the 'God of Jacob' doesn't sit comfortably given Jacob's nature.

b) Jacob was a (calculating) person.

Furthermore, Jacob was an extremely calculating individual. Even in his prayer to God at Bethel, his prayer was conditional.

"If you will be with me, protect me on this journey I am taking, and give me food to eat and clothes to wear, so that I return safely to my father's household, then the LORD will be my God and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God's house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth."

(Genesis 28:20-22) Then Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear so that I return safely to my father's household, then the LORD will be my God, and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God's house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth."

c) Jacob was a person who (longed for) God's blessings.

Indeed, the realization struck that Jacob harbored a longing for blessings. He cherished the importance of the birthright that came from God.

In Genesis 25:31-33, Jacob is seen valuing the birthright, even going to the extent of bargaining with his brother Esau, who was desperate and willing to trade his birthright for food.

"So Jacob said, 'Sell me your birthright today.' Esau replied, 'I am about to die! What good is the birthright to me?' But Jacob said, 'Swear to me first.' So, he swore an oath to him, selling his birthright to Jacob."

So, even at this early stage, Jacob had a deep appreciation for the blessings that came from God, including the significance of the birthright.

Moreover, at Jabbok, he exchanged God's blessings and his well-being.

In Genesis 32:24-26, Jacob wrestled with a man until daybreak, and when the man saw that he could not overpower Jacob, he touched Jacob's hip, dislocating it. Yet, Jacob, despite the pain, refused to let go until the man blessed him. The man asked Jacob for his name, and upon learning it was Jacob, he changed it to Israel, signifying that Jacob had struggled with God and humans and had overcome.

d) Lastly, Jacob was a person of (blessing).

However, Jacob wasn't merely a person longing for blessings; he was someone who distributed the blessings he received. Even during a famine when his material blessings were running out, he sought a blessing from Pharaoh.

In Genesis 47:7-10, Joseph led Jacob to stand before Pharaoh. Jacob blessed Pharaoh, and when Pharaoh asked about his age, Jacob responded, "The years of my pilgrimage are a hundred and thirty. My years have been few and difficult, and they do not equal the years of the pilgrimage of my fathers."

Especially noteworthy is Genesis 49, where Jacob blesses his twelve sons. The blessings and prophecies he imparts to each son are truly remarkable.

Jacob, known as Israel, was a person who not only longed for God's blessings but also shared the blessings with others. The song "The Blessing" originally titled "Jacob's Blessing" reflects Jacob's character as someone who effectively shared the blessings he received from God.

(Genesis 49:22) "Joseph is a fruitful vine, a fruitful vine near a spring, whose branches climb over a wall."

5. Conclusion/ We have grown in knowledge and deepened our relationship with God by listening to the stories shared by others. If so, we also bear the responsibility to share about God in a very concrete manner. Particularly, there is power in sharing what one has personally heard, seen, and experienced.

The descendants of Korah were a people who once opposed God and faced destruction. However, in the midst of that, they experienced God's mercy and transformed into people who praise Him. Through such experiential knowledge, they received the gift of unwavering faith. They learned that salvation comes when God commands it, relying on God brings redemption, and trusting in God prevents shame.

Especially, they confess that God is 'the God of Jacob.' Not the God of the righteous and praised Abraham or the obedient and blessed Isaac, but the God of the deceitful and calculating Jacob. There are two intentions behind this.

Firstly, even for those like Korah, who were full of envy and opposition to God, there is praise for the God who does not judge unto destruction but saves. Secondly, there is a desire for the God of Jacob, who longs for blessings and distributes them. A hope that we, like Jacob, may become people who long for blessings and distribute them.

When God ordained Aaron as a priest, He made this promise: 'When you bless in My name, I will bless them!' (Numbers 6:22-27) This assurance reminds us that as priestly figures, we too have the authority to bless others in God's name, bringing His blessings into their lives.

Dear brothers and sisters from ANC, we have become priestly figures like kings. We also have a responsibility. Let's live with the determination to not only long for blessings but also to distribute blessings. This is not just about material blessings but also the spiritual blessings we receive from God.

Let's express gratitude for the God who is the God of Jacob. We have hope too. There is hope for us, who are worldly and calculating. As you desire blessings, remember to determine to live as those who distribute blessings. In doing so, you will know God more deeply.

(Exemplar) Last week, while cleaning, I saw Andy happily carrying trash in his car towards the church dump. Witnessing his joy, I also felt immense happiness.

In Andy's testimony, there is a line that says, "I am still growing in my knowledge and relationship with the Lord, and as of recently, I have learned a lot. I have much, much more to learn, and I am very much looking forward to it."

How well do you know God now? How is your relationship with God? Don't you want to know God more, just as Andy does?

As knowledge about God grows, so does our relationship with Him. (2 Peter 3:18) "But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be glory both now and forever! Amen."

Are you not excited about God's amazing plans for you? I remember the words of William Carey: "Expect great things from God; attempt great things for God!"

Do you not want to expect great things from God and attempt great things for Him?

번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회 수
공지 열방교회 온라인 헌금 안내 정안젤라 2020.03.07 592
290 4월 28일 주일설교 (왕상 11:1-13) - '하나님 마음에 합한 사람, 하나님 마음이 떠난 사람' file 전우철 2024.04.27 12
289 4월 21일 주일설교(열왕기상 8:30-41, 9:1-9) - 성전으로 사는 인생, 예수로 사는 인생 file 전우철 2024.04.20 20
288 4월 14일 주일설교(왕상 6:1-13) - '예수의 흔적, 교회' file 전우철 2024.04.14 8
287 4월 7일 정민영목사 주일설교(삼상 2:1-10) - 한나를 롤모델로 삼자 전우철 2024.04.09 10
286 4월 7일 주일설교(열왕기상 2:26-35) - 저항할 수 없는 은혜, 타협없는 공의, 그리고 반드시 이루어지는 말씀 file 전우철 2024.04.04 40
285 3월 31일(누가복음 24:1-12) -‘부활: 다시 일어서게 하는 은혜’ ‘The God of the second chance’ file 전우철 2024.03.30 14
284 3월 31일 주일설교(누가복음 24:1-12) 1부예배 설교묵상 - '무덤덤한 무덤, (맘을 움직이는) 말다운 말! file 전우철 2024.03.29 12
283 3월 24일 주일설교(시편 61:1-8)- '나보다 높은 바위에 나를 인도하소서' file 전우철 2024.03.25 8
282 3월 17일 주일설교(시편 55:1-23) 말씀묵상 - TREACHERY, TRUST, TRESPASS file 전우철 2024.03.15 23
281 20240310 Let's not become miserable because of money! 정안젤라 2024.03.09 16
280 3월 10일 주일설교 말씀묵상(시편 49:13-20) - '돈 때문에 초라해지지 말자!' file 전우철 2024.03.09 48
» 20240303 God of Jacob, we have heard a lot of words! 정안젤라 2024.03.02 12
278 3월 3일 주일설교(시편 44편) 설교노트/설교원고/말씀묵상 - '야곱의 하나님, 말씀 많이 들었습니다!' 전우철 2024.03.02 45
277 20240225 We will keep our faith alive! 정안젤라 2024.02.24 8
276 2월 25일 주일설교(요엘 2:18-32) 설교노트/설교원고/말씀묵상 - '‘우리는 우리의 믿음을 살아있게 할 것입니다!’ 전우철 2024.02.23 37
275 20240218 Let's not live our lives in such a wavering and hesitant manner! 정안젤라 2024.02.17 14
274 2월 18일 주일 '말씀묵상/설교노트/설교원고' (막 15:1-15) - '인생 너무 아둥바둥거리고 살지 맙시다!' 전우철 2024.02.17 21
273 2월 11일 주일설교(마가복음 14:1-11) - '예배, 인생의 터닝포인트!' (설교노트/설교원고/말씀묵상/영어번역본) 전우철 2024.02.09 56
272 2월 4일 주일설교(막 12:1-12) 말씀묵상, 설교원고 - '본분(本分)’ file 전우철 2024.02.02 49
271 1/28 주일설교(막 10:17-31) '설교묵상' '설교노트' '설교원고' '영어설교' - ‘인생의 주어를 바꾸십다!’ [1] file 전우철 2024.01.26 66
위로