메뉴 건너뛰기

중고등부 Youth

20240128 Success in God's Eyes

정안젤라 2024.01.27 20:43 조회 수 : 20

Mark 10

17 As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him. He fell on his knees before Jesus. “Good teacher,” he said, “what must I do to receive eternal life?”

18 “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good except God. 19 You know what the commandments say. ‘Do not murder. Do not commit adultery. Do not steal. Do not be a false witness. Do not cheat. Honor your father and mother.’ ” (Exodus 20:12–16; Deuteronomy 5:16–20)

20 “Teacher,” he said, “I have obeyed all those commandments since I was a boy.”

21 Jesus looked at him and loved him. “You are missing one thing,” he said. “Go and sell everything you have. Give the money to those who are poor. You will have treasure in heaven. Then come and follow me.”

22 The man’s face fell. He went away sad, because he was very rich.

23 Jesus looked around. He said to his disciples, “How hard it is for rich people to enter God’s kingdom!”

24 The disciples were amazed at his words. But Jesus said again, “Children, how hard it is to enter God’s kingdom!

25 Is it hard for a camel to go through the eye of a needle? It is even harder for someone who is rich to enter God’s kingdom!”

26 The disciples were even more amazed. They said to each other, “Then who can be saved?”

27 Jesus looked at them and said, “With people, this is impossible. But not with God. All things are possible with God.”

28 Then Peter spoke up, “We have left everything to follow you!”

29 “What I’m about to tell you is true,” Jesus replied. “Has anyone left home or family or fields for me and the good news?

30 They will receive 100 times as much in this world. They will have homes and families and fields. But they will also be treated badly by others. In the world to come they will live forever.

31 But many who are first will be last. And the last will be first.”

1. Identifying Conflict / Even after meeting Jesus, there are people whose life struggles do not end.

"Life struggles end when you meet Jesus, and faith struggles end when you find a good church."

I realize I need to modify that statement: "Life struggles may not end even when you meet Jesus!"

1) One person met Jesus but went away (troubled).

A person encountered Jesus. However, when parting ways, it is described, "He went away with a sad face, grieving."

(Mark 10:22) The man was wealthy; therefore, he went away grieving, for he had many possessions.

(Question) Why couldn't this man, like many others, end his life struggles after meeting Jesus?

a) This man was someone whom Jesus (loved).

Jesus looked at him and said, "He loved him."

(Mark 10:21) Jesus looked at him and loved him.

b) He asked about (eternal) issues, not everyday problems.

The request made by this man when he came to Jesus is different from those who sought Jesus before. It was not to heal a sick body or to cast out demons. His request was about how to obtain 'eternal life.' Isn't that truly beautiful?

(Mark 10:17) As Jesus was setting out on a journey, a man ran up and knelt before Him and asked, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

c) His (attitude) when coming to Jesus was different.

When he came to Jesus, not only was the reason for his request spiritual, but also his attitude when approaching Jesus was remarkable.

'He ran,' 'knelt down,' and then respectfully addressed Jesus as 'Good Teacher,' showing the utmost courtesy.

(Mark 10:17) As Jesus was setting out on a journey, a man ran up and knelt before Him and asked, "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

d) Despite being wealthy and a ruler, he was still a (young man).

What made him especially endearing to Jesus was that he was a young man. Not just any young man but a young man who was wealthy and held a position as a ruler. How wonderful is that?

(Luke 18:18) A certain ruler questioned Him, saying, "Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?"

(Matt 19:20) The young man said to Him, "All these things I have kept; what am I still lacking?"

2) Young man did not keep (the Ten Commandments).

Jesus explains to the young man how to obtain eternal life. It begins with the question, "Do you know the commandments?" and the young man confidently replies, "I have kept them all since my youth."

(Mark 10:19) You know the commandments: 'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, do not defraud, honor your father and mother.'"

(Mark 10:20) He answered, "Teacher, all these I have kept since I was a boy."

a) He kept commandments related to (people), but not those related to (God).

However, upon hearing this response, Jesus' words to the young man are intriguing. He rebuts, saying, "While you may have kept the commandments related to people, you have not kept the commandments related to God."

(Mark 10:21) Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

b) The Ten Commandments and the Lord's Prayer consist of stories related to (God) and (people).

The introduction of the Lord's Prayer is found in Matthew 6:9-13. The first part is about the kingdom of God, and the latter part is about the kingdom of man. The commandments are introduced in Exodus 20:1-17, where God wrote them with His own finger on stone tablets and gave them to Moses.

i) Relationship with God (1-4) -> Do not serve other gods, do not make idols, do not misuse the name of the Lord, remember the Sabbath day.

ii) Relationship with people (5-10) -> Honor your parents, do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, do not covet.

The young man claimed to have kept the commandments, but it refers to commandments 5-10, which are about relationships with others. That he could not give up his "wealth" ultimately means he failed to keep the commandments related to God, like "Do not serve other gods" and "Do not make idols."

In the end, although the young man ran to Jesus, knelt down, and asked about eternal life, and received Jesus' love, he could not give up what he loved more than God, leading him to depart with sorrow.

2. Conflict Analysis / To End Life's Wandering, Change the (Subject).

Why couldn't the young man solve the problems of life even after meeting Jesus?

Because the 'subject' of life was 'himself.'

1) Jesus is not just a good teacher, but the (Lord).

The young man's approach to Jesus, running to Him and kneeling down to ask about eternal life, was good. However, his choice of addressing Jesus as the 'good teacher' was incorrect. Calling Jesus a 'good teacher' implies that he didn't recognize Jesus as the 'Lord' who came to give eternal life.

(Mark 10:17) As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. "Good teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

Throughout history, there have been many instances where people misunderstood the nature of God's authority. An example is found in the time of the Judges, where people did what was right in their own eyes because they did not accept God as their king and lord.

(Judges 21:25) In those days, Israel had no king; everyone did as they saw fit.

Jesus is the 'Lord.' If the 'question' is wrong, the 'answer' will also be incorrect. Jesus is the Lord, the Christ, and the Son of God.

(Matthew 16:16) Simon Peter replied, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God."

Understanding Jesus as more than just a good teacher is essential for seeking the right answers to life's questions. Recognizing Jesus as the Lord and the source of eternal life is crucial for resolving life's conflicts and uncertainties.

2) Eternal life is not obtained through (effort).

The question posed by the young man to Jesus was flawed. If he truly desired eternal life, he shouldn't have asked, "What must I do to inherit eternal life?"

(Mark 10:17) As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. "Good teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

The way to salvation, which is synonymous with eternal life, is well explained in Ephesians 2.

Salvation is received by grace through faith. It is a gift from God, and therefore, no one can boast.

(Ephesians 2:8-9) For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.

3. Practical Implications / Jesus used the analogy of a camel and a needle's eye to explain to His disciples.

Ultimately, the young man, in loving "wealth" more, was unable to entrust his life to God.

1) Do not love (wealth) more than God!

Loving wealth can make it extremely difficult to enter the kingdom of God, Jesus explains. He goes to the extent of saying that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter God's kingdom.

(Mark 10:23) Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, "How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God!"

(Mark 10:25) It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God."

This doesn't only refer to wealth. For some, it could be "honor" or "power" that becomes a hindrance to entering God's kingdom.

2) Do not love (anxiety) more than God.

This isn't confined to material wealth; it can also be applied to excessive worry, anxiety, or fear despite acknowledging God's sovereignty over life.

(Philippians 4:6-7) Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

3) The subject of salvation is not man but (God).

Eternal life is not something we can achieve through our efforts. It is a gift from God. It emphasizes that salvation is not based on human accomplishments, but it's a gift from God.

(Ephesians 2:8-9) For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast.

4) When the (subject) of life changes, the first will be last, and the last will be first.

After Jesus spoke about giving up everything for His sake, Peter raised a question about their own sacrifices.

"We have left everything to follow you!"

Jesus responds by saying that those who have become the first by following Him might become the last, and those who seem last might become the first.

(Mark 10:31) But many who are first will be last, and the last first.

(Mark 10:28) Peter said to him, "We have left everything to follow you!"

When the subject of life changes, ultimately, one becomes the subject, like the rich young ruler, and if that happens, it is a warning that even if you initially followed Jesus, you could end up being the one who comes last.

4. Gospel Presentation / Who is God as the Subject of Life?

1) God is the (Creator).

(Genesis 1:1) In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.

(Genesis 1:27-28) So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. And God blessed them. And God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth."

2) Jesus is the (Savior).

(John 3:16) "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."

(Philippians 2:5-8) Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

3) The Holy Spirit is the (Guide).

(John 16:13) When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come.

When faced with a crisis in life, what question should you examine?

Instead of asking, "What should I do now to get out of this crisis?"

Ask, "What is God going to do in me now?"

"Not, 'How can I accomplish God's work?' but rather, 'How can God accomplish His work through me?'"

These questions shift the subject from 'I' to 'God.'

5. Conclusion / The main reason the young man, whom Jesus could not help but love, left troubled after hearing Jesus' words is because of the subject of life, which was 'self.' Eternal life is not something 'I' can obtain; it is received when 'the Lord' gives. From now on, let us surrender ourselves to be led by 'the Lord' in our lives. This is what faith is all about.

위로